Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A longing for a Yard


This past Sunday we spent a good part of the afternoon at my parents house for the Ranger game, BBQ and a Jack visit. It was a beautiful afternoon, sun shining, warm air cool breeze. As I was sitting in the yard watching me mom play with Jack I felt something I haven't felt up until this point, a bit jealous of their yard and the things they had for Jack to play with.

Last week my mom and I had gone to Toys R Us to get a small play set for Jack to have at my parents. Its adorable, two slides, a little climber part and steering wheel for him to drive away to far away magical places.... So here we are Sunday afternoon... my dad had set up the play set in the backyard, there is a blanket laid out with Jacks toys on it, bubbles, a little ride on fire truck.... I couldn't help but envy it all.... we are the parents and we don't have any of these things for Jack to play with. As I am watching him, it is obvious he loves be outside and playing. I am a bit bummed at the fact that if I want to play outside with Jack I have to go to the park to bring him on the swings and slide. Though he is walking (though still a but wobbly) I can't just let him go, not easy to walk on mulch for the little guy. I can't help but wonder if he is sometimes bored with the things we have in the house for him to play with. we bought him a blow up pool but haven not yet done anything with it but we are wondering what we are going to do with it... still not sure how it will fit on the deck or how much of a pain its going to be to fill it up since our hose is in the front of the house.

It was different last year, he was a newborn and wasn't playing with much of anything. Now he is a ball of energy, at the point where he walks 95% of the time and doesn't care to stay still for more then 2 minutes. I guess it goes back to our choice to get a townhouse with all the things inside that we love and sacrificed having a yard for a brand new place to move into. I'm not saying I regret the choice, I had and have no desire to buy a home that needs endless hours of repair and makeover. This then goes back to the expenses of NJ.... for the amount of money we spend on our townhouse we would have only been able to get a 20 year old home with a broken roof....

I guess now that the weather is warming up and I am ready to venture out of the house it would just be nice to go out into the yard and hangout all afternoon.... I perhaps need to find a place I can do this with Jack... I would love to do a little picnic, play with bubbles... all that fun stuff! I want Jack to enjoy the day and not be bored, for him to experience everything. We need to get out of Jersey :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment