Thursday, February 11, 2010

Too many opinions!

First off I must say that our family has been a huge help in every way and we are very much thankful for all that they do for us. With that said, sometimes the "suggestions" are just too much! Obviously everyone means well and only wants the best for Steve, Jack and myself but I think that all moms need to do what works for them and not necessarily what was done 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago.

We have been questioned on just about everything. First was the sleeping on the back of belly question. Yes, 20 years ago it was recommended that babies sleep on their bellies so that they wouldn't choke if they spit up. Now is it recommended that they sleep on their backs so they don't suffocate. The comment that we constantly got, "well you survived didn't you". Yes we survived but why would we chose to ignore the fact that since the switch in thought, that the number of newborn deaths due to SIDS has decreased. I'm wasn't going to take my chances, even though Jack hated sleeping on his back. It was a struggle every night. We'd get him to fall asleep and than laid him in his bassinet on his back. The problem came in when he woke for the first feeding of the night. Very rarely could we get him back in the bassinet. It was nearly immediate, we laid him down and jumped as those startled. Just about every single night for the first three months, Jack slept on my chest. It was worked for us, he fell right to sleep and that meant we got to sleep. Sure it would have been easier to stick him on his belly in the bassinet but it gave me piece of mind knowing he was safe and sound asleep in my arms. As soon as he started his 4th month we made the big move, the big boy crib and sleeping on the belly! It was pretty hysterical, the first night after Steve and I got into bed sans Jack in the room, we both looked at each other and exclaimed how strange it was to not have him sleeping next to us. So of course for the first 4 nights I chose to sleep on this floor just to be sure he would be okay. I knew that he had great neck strength and had no problem moving his head side to side (tested all this during nap times) but I needed to make sure. My wonderful husband joined me on the floor most of those nights to keep me company. It was amazing, he slept so much better!

We were constantly questioned as to why we wouldn't start him on solids until 6 months. Ugh! Yes I understand that they used to put cereal in the bottle at 3 weeks old... no more! First off, I was breast feeding and that provided him with the best nutrition and plenty of fat to keep him satisfied. There was no need to start solids. He rarely fussed after a bottle and if he did, an extra ounce was good enough.  Studies have shown that starting too early makes it more likely that the child will develop allergies,
babies intestinal systems are still developing making it difficult to process solids, could lead to obesity in the future and constipation . I had to laugh when we had gone for a check up and the doctor questioned if we were being pressured to put cereal in his milk... exactly! Just a little fact...  “In 2002 the World Health Organization backed research that found that breastfeeding provided all the nutrition a baby needs during the first 6 months of life and that giving baby other foods during this time would dilute the nutritional value of the milk and might even be harmful to the baby’s health.”  Needless to say, we waited until the 6 month mark. Even then, as we started solids, it still didn't seem to satisfy everyone else. According to the family, we weren't giving him enough at a time or moving to slow in trying different foods. I swear if it were up to them Jack would have had his first meatball at 3 months old. I think its important to state that Jack has been in the top 75% for his weight since his one month check up. I don't think he was ever starving as my grandmother and godmother would tell me. Now Jack is 9 months old (as of tomorrow) and still we are constantly questioned as to what he should be eating. We chose to ignore everyone and keep doing what we're doing. Up until last week jack got almost solely breast milk (just started formula) and the food that I made him. He eats a pretty good variety, I think.... peas, green beans, sweet potato, cauliflower, apricot, blueberries, pears, carrots, butternut squash, zucchini. We have gotten started on learning to chew with yogurt melts and puffs and we will slowly continue to introduce new things. Never did understand the big rush with the meatballs, well except that we are Italians. 


So obviously the food thing bugs me most... I consider the fact that I breast fed for 9 months and that I make all of his solids (organic when available) to be pretty damn good! I see no harm in taking it slow. I plan on keeping the fresh home made food a consistent thing even as he gets older. Jack will try everything and hopefully develop a palette for good food. I think we can all agree that we only want the best for our children and we do the bet we can to make sure they are always happy, healthy and safe. 


So after complaining about all the "suggestive" opinions we've gotten I find my mind going into another direction so now I will go off on a tangent and I am going to give my opinion on a few topics... So its still food related... It is a scary thing to hear about all the childhood obesity statistics. According to the CDC, 16% of children ages 6-19 years old are overweight or obese. Then there are all the diseases that are associated with being obese... heart disease and diabetes just to name a couple. I can't help but blame the parents and our society. It seems that in every corner there is either a McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King or other fast food chain. Terrible choices they give, a heart attack on a plate! Sadly, some parents choose this as their best option because it is fast and requires no thought. I'm sure I will piss someone off with these opinions of mine but they are my thoughts. I wish more people would take the time to prepare a healthy meal so that as the child grows older they are accustomed to good nutritious food and not greasy fast food. I'm not at all saying that a once in a while stop to get french fries makes a bad parent, just think it is the norm for too many people. The same goes for tv watching... rather than taking the time to do an art project or dance around the house, it is easier to turn the tv on and let the child to get into a trance. Trust me, I am not getting all high and mighty, I am not perfect and I have no doubt that I will secumb to sticking a movie on to get a break from the craziness or stop at a fast food place because the day was just too crazy to get dinner on the table at a reasonable hour. I'd simply like to think that I am aware of the temptations and I will do my best to avoid them and make good choices for my myself, my husband and especially for our son. 


This is the beauty of a blog... I get to vent and if you don't agree with me thats okay, you can choose to not read it... too bad there is no mute button on life, could come in handy at times... haha :-)

1 comment:

  1. love this entry!! So true! Very well stated! I couldnt agree more :)

    ReplyDelete