Thursday, February 18, 2010

Really? Nine months already?!?!

It really doesn't feel like that long ago that Jack decided that May 12th 2009 would be his birthday. Now here we are 9 months (and one week) later and so much has changed. He has gone from a helpless little peanut that could only see black and white, woke up every two hours during the night to feed and had that deafening newborn cry to this adorable boy with the most beautiful face and amazing personality. He knows what he wants and lets you know it! He says "kitty!" When we hold him, he holds on right back. He gives big mouth open, slobbery wet kisses if you give him your cheek. He is so sweet and a joy!

Jack had his nine month well visit yesterday. We got a great big thumbs up from the doctor. We basically have free range as far as trying most foods, slowly of course to be sure there are no allergies. Jack has hit 20 lbs 2.5 ounces and is now 28 inches tall! He'll be catching up to his mommy way to quickly (though not really a huge feat considering how short I am). He is in the 50% for both of the measurements. Yup, he has been in the 75% for his weight in the past but as the doctor explained this is completely normal and pretty much expected at this stage. Think about, he has gone from just rolling over and rocking in place to crawling, and cruising all day long in a mere few months! A huge step in development. The doctor compared it to a person who hasn't run a day in their lives all of a sudden deciding to run 5 miles a day! I have no worries about Jacks growth... he is clearly a healthy and happy baby, you can tell just by looking at him.  So Steve and I left the doctor feeling good, especially since there were no vaccines this visit which meant no crying.

WARNING: I AM GOING INTO YET ANOTHER RANT ABOUT HIS DAILY DIET...
You would think this is all wonderful news and the family would be satisfied with this good doctors report. Nope! Of course not... but I almost feel like I should have expected that. It is "expected" that Jack be at the tip top of the weight scale and that he should be eating full blown spaghetti and meatball meals already. It was not acceptable that his weight gain has slowed slightly. Its so frustrating.... here I am feeling very good about the decisions my husband and I have been making for OUR son and here comes the family with all their negative judgement.

I made the best decision for him when he was born, to breast feed, even though this is certainly not the simple option. When it came time for starting solids we waited until 6 months because breast fed babies get all the nutrition they need from the milk and he showed no signs of being not satisfied with just the milk. When it came time to choosing a cereal to start, we choose organic. When it came time to start fruits and vegetables, we decided I would make all of it, and do as much of it organic as possible, pending finding the organic produce. From the 6 month mark I have added something new nearly every week or every other week.  He has had a great variety of fruits, vegetables, and most recently the addition of yogurt, whole peas, diced carrot and chicken, I even tried pastina last night with his dinner.  His snacks at this point consist of organic puffs, organic yogurt melts and organic biter cookies.

People don't seem to understand that I am the one that is with him all day, I know what he eats comfortably and what he has trouble with. I am in no way okay with people that would just love to stuff his face until he ready to burst.... I am not for force feeding. He tells me with queues when he has had enough and I stop even if he didn't finish every last drop of food. It takes him time to get used to new foods and new textures. I allow him time to get used to it and even enjoy it before starting something different. I don't quite see the rush. The last batch of foods I made him (in the freezer) is starting to run low on certain things.... when I get working on his next batch there will be the addition of new food and new textures.

Steve and I are very happy with Jacks development... in growth, motor skills, everything. We are proud of the things that we have decided to do for our son. He is a happy baby and we are happy parents. I don't take it to much to heart what everyone else says and I have no intentions of changing my ways but I can't deny that it bugs me. Isn't the family supposed to be the ones that support and encourage you, not the ones to pass judgement on EVERY decision you  make? *SIGH* another day, another bit of drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment