Thursday, January 7, 2010

Turning into "Mommy"

I have been married for two and a half years to my high school sweetheart. I consider myself so lucky to have met Steve when I did. We have grown together and experienced so much. We have traveled all over... Florida, Italy, France, Spain, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, California (to name a few). We had a beautiful wedding, we have a beautiful home and two very amusing kitty cats. On September 15th 2008, our 1 year wedding anniversary, we were blessed with the news that we were expecting our first child. What a joyful day. I so vividally remember taking the test and crying when I saw the plus sign. Nine months later, on May 12th 2009 at 6:01 AM our beautiful baby boy was born. Fast forward.... Jack will turn 8 months next week! Its amazing how quickly time goes. It feels like yesterday that I was in the hospital recovering from a c-section.... now here we are and he is crawling around the house, he spoke his first words "hi kitty" and learning the climb the steps.
I remember being pregnant and hearing the dreaded words from everyone... "your life is over". I didn't understand it than and I don't understand it now. Sure life changes, drastically, but why do people make it as though you might as well give up on any dreams or plans you had prior to starting a family. Jack has changed our lives in the most amazing way. Steve and I are closer than ever and I think the love that we feel for Jack is unlike anything we have ever felt before. You can't help but melt when he smiles (showing those very cute 6 little teeth). Or when he falls asleep in our arms, its as though everything else just disappears into that moment, a safe haven.
I would be a liar if I didn't say things get hard.... there is no such thing as just "running out real quick" to the grocery store or the mall. There is a checklist of things that need to be packed up... diaper bag, bottle bag, and bundling up the little guy in the winter is no easy feat. Things are planned around nap and feeding times. The laundry piles up because he doesn't care to be left unamused for more than 5 minutes. When he naps I clean bottles and shower.... yup showering is not a simple thing anymore. It is quick and rushed, no more long hot baths. And sleepless nights, UGH! Still at nearly eight months old we are not sleeping through the nights... something Steve and I look forward to tremendously!
With all that said, I wouldn't change a thing. I am fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom.... I don't miss out on a single smile, laugh, tear or cuddling moment. I am a lucky person! Daily activities may not be simple anymore but Jack has made me realize that it is the simple things in life that matter most... my wonderful husband and our beautiful baby... thats what makes my life truly worth living for... of course occassional nights out or a trip to the spa don't hurt either. I love being a "mommy"!

2 comments:

  1. Ang, Your blog is beautiful, I really enjoyed reading it and hearing your feelings . Your a very private person and it's nice to know your thoughts.

    You have a beautiful life and family with Steve and baby Jack,may God always Bless you and watch over all of you. We Love you all.

    Grandma Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the blog!!! So true about when people say your life is over... im begining to think they are just miserable people! lol I feel that life is just getting started with having our little one!!

    Jamie (delpome)

    ReplyDelete