Saturday, January 9, 2010

Growing up Jersey



First I must give credit to my friend Sam for giving me the topic idea.

I've lived here basically my entire life, though I did live in Brooklyn until I was 3. I don't really have complaints aout my childhood. I enjoyed the schools and friends I made here but now that I have my own family I can't help but feel like there is something missing. I am torn with the idea of picking up and leaving this state, especially because I don't think I'd like to even to stay in the region if I were to make the move. My entire family is here, Steves family is here.... that means that Jacks family is here. What makes a place a home? Is it the people around you, a sense of community, safety, friends or comfort? Obviously the easy choice would be to stay put until we die, we are comfortable here because this is all we know, everyone we love is here.

Steve and I, maybe more jokingly than serious, ponder the idea of moving to North Carolina. Just think of the money we would save! Yes the rebutal of not making as much there is known. But think of it, selling our townhouse (once its not worth less than what we paid) and buying something there.... oh the possibilities! I have zero doubt that we could get a home with more bedrooms, a beautiful yard for Jack to run around in a neighborhood that has block parties and a town center with quaint family owned shops that we could enjoy on a warm sunny sunday. Is it too much to ask for? If it was just the three of us we would pack up tomorrow and go, but it isn't and we won't.

It all comes back to family. Would it be completely unfair to leave everyone behind, to take away the one and only grandchild? Is it fair for us to live here just for that reason? What about our dream? What trumps what? For me, i'd miss being so close to my brothers. At the same time, I want Jack to have a nice home, good schools, a sense of stability and safety..... Right now, besides our family and comfort there is nothing else holding us here. Then there is the thought when we have another child, will we be able to afford for me to stay at home with the kids or will someone else be experiencing the daily joys of the little ones while mom and dad work. If it were only us it would be so simple but for now we will go no where and maybe just keep dreaming that one day we will live in a different place to live a simpler more laid back life... to work to live and not live to work.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your feelings but as you said you want Jack to know his family,I never want you to have hard times but that's when you realize that family is everything, they'll be there for you no matter what.

    Just decide where you want to go and everyone will follow, Ha Ha
    Love you Grandma Lou

    ReplyDelete